Here is one of my wifes scone recipes. A yummy soft scone perfect for breakfast or midnight snack.
Makes: 12 Scones Time: 25 minutes
450 grams of plain flour
1 tea spoon of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon of salt
75 grams of butter
110 grams of dates (you can exchange the dates for cranberries as an alternative!)
110 grams of caster sugar
280ml of buttermilk
1 large orange
- Mix flour, baking soda, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Rub in the butter.
- Finely chop the dates and add to the mixture.
- Add buttermilk and combine.
- Press dough out onto a floured surface. Form into a half inch rounds and cut scone sized triangles.
- Give the top of the scones an egg wash and bake for 10 minutes at 220 degrees celsius.
- Take the zest of an orange and the juice of the orange and add icing sugar until a thin icing is formed. Generously drizzle on the scones once they are out of the oven – allowing it to cover the top and sides of the scone as a glaze.