Vegetarians, here is your festive option for christmas dinner that will have the meat eaters wanting your lunch. Though not an attractive picture this culinary experiment works. Puff pastry, honey roasted vegetables, cranberries and bread sauce bring this together.
The great thing here is that this is quick and easy to make, plus, corners can be cut to get back to the party sooner, such as buying ready to roll pastry. This is a simple but memorable addition to the christmas table.
Serves: Four to Six Time: 1 hour
200ml of whole milk
2 slices of white bread – make into bread crumbs
1 Large Parsnip
2 handfuls of brussel sprouts
Half a Red Onion
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of honey
2 tablespoons of hazlenuts
2 tablespoons of dried cranberries
Ready to roll puff pastry or if you prefer make your own
- Make the bread sauce by simmering the milk and cloves. Make bread crumbs from the bread and add to the milk. Continue to simmer until a thick sauce is formed. Add salt to taste. Remember to remove the cloves.
- Line your flan dish with the puff pastry ensuring you have a thick layer and blind bake at 180 degrees celsius for 10 minutes.
- Quarter the brussel sprouts, slice the parsnips into thin pieces and cut the onion into slices. Mix the oil and honey together and toss the vegetables and hazlenuts in the mixture.
- Assemble the tart. Spread your bread sauce over the pastry then add your vegetables and nuts.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and scatter cranberries on top and serve.