These are a simple dark chocolate brownie with a twist. Adding cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves give a subtle flavour that makes these taste less sweet and more “adult”. I find the black treacle and at least 70% dark chocolate make it less sweet again, giving you the “adult” dark matter brownie.
Time: 1 hour
Makes: 8 large brownies or 16 smaller brownies
200g of butter
4 medium eggs
450g of soft light brown sugar
4 tablespoons of black treacle
80g of cocoa powder
100g of self raising flour
100g of Dark Chocolate broken into small pieces
1 teaspoon of salt, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the cocoa powder and treacle. Mix well.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar until well combined.
- Add the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, dark chocolate and salt to the egg mixture.
- Slowly add the butter mixture to the egg mixture stirring thoughout.
- Sieve the flour into the mixture in four batches (25g each) stirring to incorprate fully each time.
- Pour into a baking tin around 25cm x 25cm covered in grease proof paper.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25-30 minutes, removing from the oven once a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool and then cut. Enjoy!