Sometimes you want an excuse to have pancakes for dinner. These “dinner” pancakes took multiple attempts but finally came out a sucesss. Eggs, bacon, avocado and hot sauce are a winning combination.
Time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 4 pancakes (serve 2)
8 rashers of Bacon
200ml of buttermilk plus extra
70g of cornmeal (polenta)
70g of plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Place your bacon on a tray under your grill and cook to your desired level of crispiness.
- Prepare the tomato by dicing into chunks and the avocado into small wedges.
- Make the pancake batter by mixing together the cornmeal, baking soda and flour. Gradually add the buttermilk, whisking until you have a pourable batter. This should be about 200ml but may vary.
- Add a tablespoon of the vegetable oil to the batter. You could add a tablespoon of the bacon grease instead if you like. Leave for 5 mins.
- Place a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan and heat on a low heat.
- Spoon in enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook till lightly brown and flip the pancake. Remove from the pan once fully cooked.
- Poach your eggs.
- Assemble pancakes with egg, bacon and avocado. Scatter tomato and a few drops of hot sauce over the pancakes.