If you gave me a box of Quality Street the caramels would never be eaten. These hard lumps of disappointment were always the rejects. However when it came to a box of celebrations the snickers always went first. Soft, nutty and slightly salty.
So here is a sweet treat that has a rich salty caramel your not going to break your teeth on that is full of roasted peanuts. If you wanted to, you could cover it in chocolate but I like the simplicity of keeping the caramel the star.
Time: 25-40 minutes
Makes: 16 pieces
300g of caster sugar
200ml double cream
100g butter (cold), cubed
Salt to taste
1. Start by either toasting or roasting the peanuts. If roasting the peanuts do this in an oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes keeping an eye on them. Alternatively, heat a large frying pan and toast the peanuts for 2-3 minutes until changing colour. Don’t worry if some are charred. Remove and leave to cool.
2. Line a large tray with grease proof paper.
3. Prepare the caramel by putting the sugar in a large pan. Heat slowly until it turns to a liquid. Only stir the sugar when needed. Turn off the heat.
4. Once the sugar has turned into liquid add the butter. Stir to incorporate.
5. Add the cream slowly and put the heat on low. Stir until incorporated.
6. Carefully taste the caramel allowing it to cool on a teaspoon before tasting (you don’t want a sugar burn). Add salt to taste.
7. Stir in the peanuts and mix.
8. In a large bowl pour in the caramel and peanut mixture. Add the cornflakes gradually while mixing. If you want them full of caramel add 150g of cornflakes. If you don’t want it as sweet and sticky add in all the cornflakes.
9. Spread onto a large tray and allow to cool for 2-3 hours before cutting.
1 thought on “No.85 Salted Caramel & Peanut Cornflake Squares”
These look so insanely delicious!