Surprisingly, this works well together. The smokey chipotle goes well with the orange, and the beer ensures it retains that bitter edge. This is not the prettiest of dishes but stands out with its full-on flavours. It works well made ahead of time. Have it with tacos, burritos or just with rice.
Time: 4 hours
Difficulty: Straight forward
1-1.5kg of Pork Shoulder
330ml of IPA beer
100ml of water
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 teaspoon of dried chipotle chilli flakes
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
2 cinnamon sticks
salt and pepper
1. Prepare the pork by removing the skin. Keep skin aside.
2. Cut the onion and orange into slices and place in the bottom of a lidded ovenproof pot. Add pork, spices, water and beer.
3. Bring to a simmer on the hob, then put the lid on and place into a 160 degree Celsius oven.
4. Prepare the pork skin by scoring with a very sharp knife. Salt the skin and place in the oven on an oven tray.
5. Leave the pork to cook in the oven for 3 hours. Periodically check that there is enough liquid in the pot and add more water if needed. Check the pork skin and remove once you have nice crackling.
6. For the last 30 minutes continue cooking uncovered.
7. Now remove pork and strain the liquid, reducing the liquid on high heat if needed. Then pull the pork and mix through the sauce.