Let’s talk Christmas, and more to the point Christmas dinner. Out of all the vegetables you end up fighting over the honey mustard parsnips. The same formula of sweet and savoury works well on a much lighter salad. It goes perfectly with a large piece of beef or pork cooked on the BBQ.
Serves: 4-6 as a side
Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: Take your time
4 large Carrots
4 large Parsnips
30g of Golden Syrup
30ml + 4 tablespoons of Cider Vinegar
30ml of cold pressed Rapeseed Oil
3 tablespoons of Nigella Seeds
1. Peel the skin off the parsnips and carrots leaving the tops on.
2. With a peeler peel long strips of carrot and parsnip. You can grip onto the tops to keep your hand away from the peeler. Peel as much as you can.
3. If making the night before place in a large container and add 3 tablespoons of the vinegar. Mix well. This will prevent the parsnip browning.
4. Make the dressing by mixing 30 ml of the vinegar with the golden syrup and oil. You can do this in a closed jar. Add more vinegar or syrup if needed.
5. Mix together the dressing and the carrots and parsnips. Salt to taste.
6. Assemble on a plate with a sprinkling of nigella seeds.