The Christmas recipe development is fully underway. This is my more restrained take on a classic red cabbage. A little port, apple juice and cinnamon mean it is not too rich, considering everything else on the Christmas table. The contrasting soured apples make it stand out.
If you are wise make this the day before and just add the fresh apple on the day. Every time I have made this it has been softer the day after and you can just reheat on the day saving time (for more mulled wine effect).
Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Difficulty: Straight forward
Half a head of Red Cabbage
250ml of Cloudy Apple Juice
50ml of Port
1 Cinnamon Stick
25ml of Lemon Juice
2 tablespoons of Brown Sugar
1. Dice the cabbage in long strips and add to a pot. Add the cinnamon, apple juice and port.
2. Cook on the hob at a medium heat for 1 hour with a lid covering.
3. After one hour remove the lid and continue cooking for 30 minutes adding the sugar at this point. Continue cooking till the liquid is reduced.
4. Peel of dice the apple into small cubes. Mix with the lemon juice.
5. Serve in a large bowl with the cinnamon stick as a decoration and top with the apples soured by the lemon.