Back in the not so long ago past the coffee shop chain Pret A Manger used to make these great carrot breakfast muffins. Then for some reason took them off their shelves. This is not a copycat recipe but more a different take on this muffin. It’s also been made vegan by using apple sauce as a binder meaning that there is no need for eggs here.
Makes:6-8 (depending on size of your muffin tin)
Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty: Straight Forward
200g of Wholemeal Flour
200g of Grated Carrot
50g of Raisins
50g of Sultanas
250ml of Freshly Brewed Tea
200g of Apple Sauce
150ml of Vegetable Oil
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
1 tablespoon of Oats
1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon of Sunflower Seeds
1. Add the raisins and sultanas to the tea and let them steep for 10 minutes until plump and softened. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit).
2. Once the dried fruit has softened add to the carrot, vegetable oil and apple sauce. Mix well.
3. Mix together the baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour. Then slowly combine with the wet carrot mixture.
4. In a muffin tray lined with cases add the mixture to the top line of the cases. This is a heavy mixture and will rise but not as much as you would normally expect.
5. Mix together the sugar, oats and seeds. Sprinkle on top of the muffins. Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven when a cake tester or knife inserted into the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean.
7. Serve warm or cooled.