These waffles are balanced between sweet and savoury so are perfect covered in chocolate or served up with fried chicken (covered in hot sauce of course).
Makes: 8-10 waffles
Time: 30-40 minutes
Difficulty: take you time (waffle iron required)
100g Plain Flour
100g of fine Cornmeal
100g of Wholemeal Flour
1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
2 tablespoon of Barley Malt Extract or Of Horlicks
1 teaspoon of Salt
3 tablespoons of Soft Light Brown Sugar
400ml of Buttermilk
50g of Butter (melted) plus extra for greasing the Waffle Iron
1. Whisk together all the ingredients (apart from the extra butter) starting with the dry ingredients and then adding in the wet ingredients. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
2. Bring the waffle iron up to heat.
3. Grease the iron with butter and pour in enough batter (dependant on your machine). Cook for 4-5 minutes until ready.
4. Repeat until all the waffles are made.
5. Toast to reheat before serving.