Firstly, this is a perfect backup meal. You can have all the ingredients in the store cupboard and the freezer ready to go when you have an unexpected guest, or five. Any left over just freeze.
You will think that there are rather a lot of chillis in this dish (feel free to add more). The ancho chillis serve another purpose of adding a sweet taste to the chilli and the chipotle chilli gives a smokey flavour.
Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Straight Forward
4 Chicken Legs
1 Red Onion
4 Cloves of Garlic
500ml of Chicken Stock
2 tablespoons of Tomato Puree
1 tablespoon of Cumin Seeds
1 tablespoon of Chiptole Chilli Flakes
1 tablespoon of Ancho Chilli Flakes
1 tablespoon of Cracked a Black Pepper
2 tablespoons of Cider Vinegar
400g of time of Mixed Beans
250g of Frozen Green Beans
250g of Frozen Sweetcorn
1. Dice the onion and the garlic.
2. In a large pot heat some oil on a medium heat and add the chicken to brown.
3. Once the chicken has browned remove from the heat. Add the onion and garlic and sweat for 2 minutes then add the cumin, chilli and black pepper. Cook this for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the stock, vinegar, chicken and the tomato puree. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. At this point remove the chicken. Leave to cool and when able remove meat from the chicken. Shred into strips and return to the pot.
6. Add the beans, green beans and sweetcorn. Continue cooking until the green beans have softened.
7. Salt to taste and thicken with cornflour or masa flour.
8. Serve with rice or cornbread.