The BLT sandwich has been around for over a hundred years, actually thought to be a British invention. Here is my more modern take. Do take your time making the mayonnaise. Sometimes it won’t work and split. Sometimes you will never know why. Keep a spare egg on hand incase you need to make a second batch.
Time: 30 Minutes
Difficulty: Take Your Time
6 rashers of Streaky Bacon
2 slices of Brown Toast
2 Large Tomatoes
1 Romaine Lettuce
1 Egg Yolk
120ml Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice
1/2 tablespoon of Cracked Black Pepper
1. Cook the bacon in the oven until crispy.
2. Dice the lettuce and tomato in large chunks.
3. Toast the bread and slice into croutons.
4. Make the mayonnaise by adding the egg yolk to the lemon juice and whisk. Now with an immersion blender add the oil slowly whilst blending to produce a full incorporated mayonnaise. Add the black pepper and mix.
5. Add the lettuce to the mayonnaise with most of the tomatoes, most of the croutons and 4 rashes of bacon cut into small pieces. Mix well.
6. Serve in a large salad bowl with the remaining croutons, bacon and tomatoes on top.