This is a more grown up sticky toffee pudding. Dark and almost malty sponge contrasted with a light rum butterscotch sauce. Interestingly the coffee note is not overpowering but helps create a bitter note to balance the sweet sauce. The sponge can be made beforehand and frozen. Make sure you make the sauce on the day.
Makes: 8 Servings
Time: 1 Hour
Difficulty: Straight Forward
1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
150ml of Coffee
75g of Butter
150g of Wholemeal Flour
2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
150g of Soft Light Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon of Black Treacle
30g of Walnuts
50g of Soft Light Brown Sugar
50g of Butter
150ml of Single Cream
25ml of Rum
1. Grease either one large loaf tin or 8 pudding moulds with butter.
2. Slice the dates thinly and then add to a large bowl with the bicarbonate of soda, black treacle and coffee. Leave for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Meanwhile cream together the sugar and butter for the sponge. Whisk in the eggs.
4. Mix together the flour and baking powder before adding to the butter and sugar.
5. Add the Dates with all the liquid to the bowl and mix until well combined. Mix in the walnuts.
6. Add to your loaf tin or pudding cases and bake for 30-45 minutes depending on what you are baking in. Check that a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean before removing from the oven.
7. Meanwhile make the sauce by adding the remaining butter and sugar to a pan and heating until the butter has melted. Add the cream then the rum and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
8. Serve the pudding out of the mould covered in the sauce. Optionally, with cream or ice cream on the side.