Hello Autumn and the everything with pumpkin in it craze. We have pumpkin lattes, pumpkin cake, pumpkin Oreos so why not pumpkin biryani. The idea here is to use the pumpkin to cook the biryani in and to present to the table creating a wee bit of theatre as everyone digs in.
First key step is to roast the pumpkin and then par cook the rice. Then once the pumpkin is roasted you can scoop out the pumpkin and combine with the rice. This mixture can then be finished cooking inside the pumpkin.
1 Pumpkin (Medium)
200g of Basmati rice
400ml of water
2 chicken thighs (optional)
2-3 tablespoons of Pataks tikka masala curry paste (or similar)
Small stick of cinnamon
4 Cardamon pods
Time: 2 hours Serves: 3 to 4
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and remove seeds. Coat the inside lightly with oil and roast at 210 degrees celsius for 45 minutes to an hour till the flesh is soft. Remember to roast the top.
- Dice the onion and add the curry paste and cook till soft.
- Par boil the rice for 10 minutes then strain.
- Now scoop out the pumpkin flesh from the pumpkin and add to the rice and onion. Mix well. Add this stage add the cinnamon and cardamon to the mixture.
- Now return this mixture to the pumpkin and put the chicken thighs in the centre.
- Put the top back on the pumpkin and bake for 45 minutes at 210 degrees celsius.
- Serve with yogurt and fresh coriander