Potatoes are a staple and when you’ve married an Irish lady a meal is not complete without them. So when I dug up this recipe it became one of the few regular meals in the home. Serve this hearty soup with wheaten bread or a white bloomer.
This recipe originally began in my vegetarian days and my frolics with veganism. You can change the butter to olive oil and milk to soy milk. This even tricked my parents who vowed against vegetarianism.
1 kilogram of potatoes
1 tablespoon of butter
300 grams of sweetcorn
750ml of chicken/vegetable stock
750ml of full fat milk
1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
1 teaspoon of brewers paste or marmite (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
Serves: 6 plus Time: 1 hour
- Chop potatoes and leek roughly and sweat in soup pot with the butter. Stir frequently. Do this for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and sweetcorn, simmer covered for 25 minute.
- Add milk and bring to the boil. Then take off the heat.
- Take one or Two cups of the chowder and liquidise with a hand blender. Return to the pot.
- Add the mustard and brewers paste. Season to taste.