This more came as a derranged idea to revamp the classic hipster brownie. Suprisingly it worked!
Whisky and honey in the cheesecake add a richness to compete with the brownie. The addition of Blackberries, or in the Doric “brambles”, gives a lovely purple highlight to the brownies.
200 grams dark chocolate (70%+)
200 grams butter
350 grams caster sugar
25g of honey
25ml plus of whiskey
110 grams plain flour
400 grams full fat cream cheese
20 or so brambles (Blackberries) (fresh or frozen)
- Line a 30cm x30cm baking tin with raised edges with greaseproof paper.
- Cream butter and 250g of the sugar till well mixed.
- Add 3 eggs and beat till well mixed.
- Melt the chocolate over a banmarie (basically a bowl over a pot of water on the hob). Then gradually add to the mixture and fold gently.
- Then proceed to fold in flour.
- Now onto the cheesecake batter. Cream the cream cheese, whiskey, honey, leftover sugar and eggs.
- Spread a thin layer of the brownie batter onto the baking tin. Now add spoonfuls of the remaining batter roughly over the intial batter.
- Pour over the cheesecake batter and speckle with brambles.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 170 degrees celcius. Remove from oven once cheescake layer is soft but firm and slighly golden at points.