Mushrooms are under-rated and that seems to be because in the supermarkets we just see brown or white. These are great when cooked well but consider the other varieties of mushrooms that can add so much more flavour. This recipe calls for variety of mushrooms, so go to a local farm shop and if they have different kinds i.e. shitake, oyster or chantrelles get a good mix.
This recipe is for a mid week meal. Its hearty, rich but more importantly quick. This can be done in 30 minutes and then your wednesday night is free. Just get the ingredients at the weekend then you are sorted for a quick mid-week meal.
Time: 30 mins Serves: 3-4
2-3 handfuls of mushrooms
2 cloves of garlics
200 grams of pre cooked/fresh gnocchi
50g of any cheese but strong cheddar or hard goats cheese works wells
50ml of single cream
50ml of white vermouth, white wine or whiskey (25ml)
salt, pepper or nutmeg to taste
- Using your hands break the mushrooms in bite size pieces and add to frying pan on medium with a little oil or butter. Add in the 2 crushed cloves of garlic.
- Cook for 10 minutes till they decrease in size and become lightly browned on parts. Add in the alcohol to the mushrooms and cook till also no liquid remains.
- Remove mushrooms from pan and add the gnocchi with a little oil. Cook till they are warm and slightly browned on the edges.
- Add back in the mushrooms and add cream. Mix well. Add salt pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Put in a oven safe dish and cover with grated cheese. Place under the grill until the cheese is well melted.