As asparagus season has descended on the Britain we need to find new ways to cook it. One way I find that works well is pan frying the aspargus in butter, and then lemon, and serving with a poached egg. The flavours simply work and it’s a light spring time dish when served with new potatoes.
Time: 15 minutes
Serves: Two with some potatoes on the side
Difficulty: Straight forward
6-10 spears of asparagus depending on size
1 Large Lemon
2 table spoons of butter
2 Large Eggs
- Prepare each spear of asparagus by removing the hard bottom of the spear and with a sharp knife piercing small incisions along the length of the spear.
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the asparagus. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes moving the spears every few minutes.
- Zest the lemon and keep the zest aside.
- Juice the lemon and add the juice to the pan. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now poach your eggs.
- Serve the asparagus with the poached egg with its yolk running over the asparagus. Drizzle over the lemon butter from the pan. Dust with lemon zest.