Chickpea gyros where a creation of need and want. The need was a healthy dinner that could be made in 20 minutes before heading to church group. The chickpeas provide your protein and are joined with plenty of fresh vegetables.
Time: 30 minutes
1 can of chickpeas (400g)
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of ground cayenne
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground corriander
1 red onion
5 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
2 large tomatoes
Half a cucumber
6 tablespoons of plain yogurt
3 handfuls of salad leaves
- Start by preheating an oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the chickpeas with the spices and the oil ensuring every chickpea is coated.
- Place the chickpeas on a oven proof dish and bake for 20 minutes until they have a crisp exterior.
- Whilst the chickpeas are baking thinly slice the onion and place in a bowl topped with the vinegar. Leave these until you are ready to serve. Dice your tomato.
- Make a basic tzatziki by finely dicing the cucumber and adding to the yogurt. Salt and pepper.
- Once the chickpeas are ready heat your pitta breads.
- Assemble your gyros with chickpeas, onion, tomato, tzatziki and fresh salad leaves in your warmed pitta bread. Enjoy!