This is a simple dish but full on flavour and really brings out the taste of sweet plum and cherry tomatoes. The key step here is using red wine vinegar and sugar to balance the flavour of the tomatoes which can vary greatly between seasons and varieties. Give it a go either as a simple supper with some morazella or as a side to chicken or fish.
Time: 15-20 minutes Serves: 4
300g spaghetti or rigatoni
500g Cherry or Plum Tomatoes
1 tablespoon of white sugar
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Boil your pasta and cook to your preference.
- Meanwhile, slice the cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise. Add to a frying pan with a little olive oil. Cook on a low heat.
- Once the tomatoes have begun to release their juices add the vinegar and the sugar.
- Continue cooking on low until the tomatoes reduce down and your have a thick tomato mixture.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of the pasta water and taste. Add more vinegar or sugar depending on the tartness of the tomatoes.
- Drain the pasta once cooked and add in half the tomatoes. Mix well.
- Serve and place the remaining tomatoes on top of the pasta.