Strawberries can have such a variety of flavours depending on how you prepare them. I would argue that when poached or stewed they develop a gentle sweetness that is more moreish than freshly picked. The idea of “steaming” inside a sponge or pastry isn’t new, take for example the polish pierogi which can be filled with summer berries.
This cake utilises the ‘putting all your cake ingredients in the mixing bowl at once’. Trust me, it works. The texture comes out as light and fluffy as a fresh muffin, with the poppy seeds adding their distinct flavour and crunch.
Time: 40 minutes
3 large eggs
2 cups of self raising flour
1 cup of caster sugar
1 cup of plain yogurt
250g of Strawberries
2/3 cup of oil
4 tablespoons of poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a Bundt tin.
- Remove the heads of the Strawberries and quarter.
- Add all the other ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together till smooth and fully incorporated.
- Spoon a third of the mixture into the tin and place a ring of strawberries in the middle of the batter. Repeat using all your remaining strawberries.
- Spoon on the remaining batter ensuring all the strawberries are covered. Then Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.