Here is a simple summer side dish that can be made on the BBQ or on the hob. Plenty of fresh vegetables to counteract the heavy burgers and sausages of the summer. The idea here is to “blacken” some of the vegetables to create a rich flavour. Surprisingly the scallions completely change flavour creating a dark moreish taste.
I’ve used purple sprouting broccoli since it is in season but tenderstem broccoli or asparagus would work well too. You want to make sure that the stems are not thick so you don’t end up burning he heads of your broccoli. I pierce small slits into the broccoli stems to speed up the process.
Serves: 4 as a side Time: 20 minutes
200g of sprouting broccoli or tender stem broccoli
1 large courgette
Small bunch of Scallions (about 5-6)
Olive oil or good quality rapeseed oil
Salt & Pepper.
- Slice the courgettes into thin strips. Cut the scallions lengthwise. Trim the broccoli in smaller stalks if needed and pierce small slits into the stalks.
- Heat a griddle pan to medium heat and add a little rapeseed oil. Add the courgettes and cook for a few minutes till black lines have formed and they have softened.
- Remove the courgettes and now add the broccoli. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the stems have softened. Remove.
- Now add the scallions and cook for 2-3 minutes till black lines form and they have softened.
- Assemble on a plate drizzle with your olive oil or good quality rapeseed oil. Salt and Pepper.