This is my first experiment with cordial making and I was surprised how simple it was. There is a satisfying process to making cordial from the chopping to the sieving. It works well warm, or served with lemonade and ginger beer.
One word of warning is the that you really need pink rhubarb. Try to get stalks that are as red as possible and smaller stalks are great here too. This is the key to getting the cordial pink .
Makes: 1 litre of cordial
Time: 30 minutes
1kg of Rhubarb
600g of caster sugar
600ml of water
50ml of lemon juice
- Dice the rhubarb into small chunks,
- Add boiling water to a large stockpot and add sugar. Bring to boil.
- Add the rhubarb and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender and falling apart. Add the lemon juice and mix.
- Set up a large bowl and a sieve. Pour the rhubarb mixture through the sieve.
- Empty the sieve and re-sieve the liquid.