This take on carrot soup took a lot of development in the kitchen for being so simple. The aim was to make a carrot soup that tasted like the carrots that had been cooked alongside a roast. This recipe delivers on that, being rich and well rounded with that reminiscent taste.
This would do well for a Christmas dinner being made a day or two in advance or for a simple mid week dinner.
Time: 2 hours
1 large onion
1kg of carrots
3 tablespoons of beef dripping
1.25L of beef stock
Salt and Pepper
- Top and tail the carrots. Peel and chop into 1 inch chunks. Peel the outer layer of the onion and chop away the roots.
- Add the carrots and the onion to a roasting dish. Add the beef dripping and enough stock to cover 1cm of the bottom of the roasting dish.
- Cover with tin foil and roast in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Remove from the oven and put all the ingredients in a large pot. Add the remaining stock.
- With a hand blender, blend the soup. Salt and Pepper. Add more stock if required to thin the soup.
- Serve with single cream.