This is not a healthy recipe but traditional, well known, Scottish recipes aren’t known for that. Tablet is a sweet treat perfect as gift or with a nice cup of coffee. Ironically, there are some references to tablet being used by apothecaries to mask the taste of medicines, no wonder the pharmacist in me likes it.
Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 20-30 pieces
Difficulty: take your time
450g castor sugar
200ml condensed milk
85ml whole milk
Half a teaspoon of salt
1. Line a small baking tin with grease proof paper.
2. In a large pot melt the butter then add the milk and salt and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
3. Add the sugar and mix together. Heat on a medium heat and add the condensed milk.
4. Continue cooking on a low to medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until golden in colour. This is the colour you are looking for.
5. Remove from the heat and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes thick. It should be paler in colour now and crystallisation of the sugar should have occurred.
6. Spread on the baking sheet evenly.
7. After 10 minutes score into 20 pieces with a sharp knife.
8. Leave to cool for 3 hours and then break in to the 20 pieces. Store in an air tight container.