Amaretti are delicate Italian biscuits. The only issue is that some people are not so fond of the strong amaretto flavour. I found that bourbon or whiskey can work well in these biscuits and switching from white sugar to brown sugar makes them richer. I like to “adulterate” these further by adding cinnamon, horrifying any Italian. I think these are pretty great.
Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: Take your time
170g of Soft Brown Sugar
170g of Ground Almonds
2 Egg White (Large Eggs)
15ml of Bourbon
1/2 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
Butter for greasing the sheet pan
1. Grease a sheet pan with butter and preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (360 degrees Fahrenheit).
2. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
3. Gently fold in the sugar, ground almonds, bourbon and cinnamon to form a smooth paste.
4. Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon place 8-16 scoops of the paste onto the buttered sheet pan.
5. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool to please removing form the sheet pan.