Converting people from boiled squishy sprouts is an uphill struggle. However sprouts have some many possibilities like salad, fritters, roasted and my favourite pan fried. So this Christmas maybe, please, do something new.
Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty: Straight forward
400g of Brussel Sprouts
50g of Hazelnuts
50g of Prunes (de-stoned)
25ml of Balsamic Vinegar
1. Heat a frying pan on medium heat and toast the hazelnuts for approximately 2 minutes till darkened and charred in spots. Then remove from pan to cool.
2. Peel the outer leaves of the sprouts and then chop off the hard stem. Now roughly chop. Also roughly chop the prunes.
3. Add a little oil or butter to a pan and add the sprouts. Cook on a medium heat till softened.
4. Add the prunes and half the hazelnuts. Continue cooking for 1 minute. Then add the vinegar. Cook out till reduced and slightly sticky.
5. Serve and top with the remaining hazelnuts.