Chilli, sugar and garlic never fails. I made this recipe originally for a thanksgiving dinner but it’s perfect for a January salad or a summer BBQ. Ideally get chipotle chilli flakes to add smoked flavour.
This salad is made special by the garlicky and sour “Labenah”. Labenah is simply a strained yogurt that has a texture closer to cream cheese. The use of strained greek yogurt is common in Middle East and here is works to deliver a strong flavour and as a healthy alternative to mayonnaise.
Time: 60 minutes
Difficulty: Straight forward
1kg of Sweet Potatoes
250g of Greek Yogurt
3 Garlic Cloves
50g of Hazelnuts
2 Red Chillis
1 tablespoon of Chilli flakes
4 tablespoons of Honey
1. Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit).
2. Chop the sweet potatoes in bite sized chunks. Toss with oil and the chilli flakes. Roast for 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile set up a bowl with a sieve on top and either a cheese cloth or a clean kitchen towel. Place the yogurt in this to strain off extra liquid.
4. In a medium hot pan toast the hazelnuts for 2 minutes till lightly blackened.
5. Once the sweet potatoes have had 45 minutes in the oven remove and cool. Remembering to taste them to ensure they are soft and then salting to taste. Take the strained yogurt and grate the garlic into the yogurt and mix well.
6. Assemble in a serving dish alternating layers of the sweet potatoes, garlic yoghurt, hazelnuts and honey. Slice the chillis and add on top.