At the time of writing this January is upon us and the gluttony of Christmas is not far behind us. You also want to forget about the day you ate twelve sweet mince pies…
So let’s make so comfort food but healthier. My Macroni & Greens it is. Wholemeal pasta, lots of greens, light cheese sauce and crisp kale and garlic crumb. Is it healthy, well kinda.
Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty: Straight forward
300g of Wholemeal Pasta
500ml of Semi Skimmed Milk
Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil or Olive Oil
3 tablespoons of Plain Flour
100g of Cheddar or Blue Cheese
1 Large Leek
5 Spring Onions
1 tablespoon of Wholegrain Mustard
1 tablespoon of Dried Parsley
1 clove of Garlic
75g of Breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon of Green Tabasco
Salt & Pepper
1. Cook your pasta according to package instruction.
2. Take the leek, spring onions and half of the kale and roughly dice. Add to a large pot with a little oil. Cook on a medium heat until softened. Take care not to brown the leeks.
3. Remove the vegetables from the pan. Add 3 tablespoons of oil and the flour. Cook together in the pan on a medium heat for 2 minutes whisking constantly. Add the milk followed by the cheese, parsley, tabasco and mustard. Mix until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste
4. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit).
5. Mix together the sauce, cooked greens and the pasta. Place in an oven proof dish.
6. Grate the garlic and mix with the breadcrumbs, 4 tablespoons of oil and remaining kale. Spread on top of the pasta.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top. Then serve.