Occasionally you look back and decide to completely revise an old recipe. Cranachan is an old Scottish dessert and should be simple.
One thing to note is the crunch element of this dessert. You ideally want to get pinhead oatmeal or as the Americans call it steel cut oats. They have the nutty flavour that is lost when oats are rolled. Hard to find but if you can find them use regular oatmeal.
Serves: 3 to 4
Time: 15 minutes
Difficulty: Straight forward
300ml/10fl.oz Double Cream
5 tablespoons of Pinhead Oats (Steel Cut Oats)
5 tablespoons of Honey
25ml of Whisky
1. Add the oats to a frying pan on medium high for 2 minutes till lightly toasted.
2. Add a tablespoon of honey and the whiskey to the cream and whip to soft plates.
3. Spread half the cream mixture on your serving plate.
4. Tear the raspberries in half and spread half over the plate and drizzle with half the remaining honey. Add half the remaining oats.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining cream mixture, raspberries, oats and honey. Then serve.