Balance is not something you expect from a white chocolate cookie espically when they are done in the outrageous stlye of the New York heavyweight cookies. Yes it is a big cookie but it’s not overly sweet having sugar reduced and salt to help with this. Butter and lard combination helps not make it overly rich. You still however will only be able to finish one of these at a time.
Lard may look like a odd ingrediant in baking but traditionaly this had a lot more common use a butter was expensive and still is. When vegetable shorting came along and the introduction of palm oil it days where numbered. Lard does have it benefits in that it will give a better crunch to the cookie and you don’t have to worry about the deforestation of an orangutan’s home because of palm oil.
Time: 30 minutes (plus 1 hour of chilling)
Makes: 4 Large Cookies
Difficulty: Straight Forward
100g of White Chocolate Chips
150g of Soft Light Brown Sugar
100g of Buter
25g of Lard
275g of Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
1 and a half teapsoons of Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- Cream together the butter, lard and sugar. Then add the egg and combine.
- In a seprate bowl add the salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and flour together. Mix well.
- Add before mixtures together to form a rough dough (it may appear slightly dry). Then add the chocolate chips and combine.
- Place the mixture in a lidded container and refridgerate for 1 hour.
- Just before 1 hour has passed preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Once chilled divide into 4 evenly sized balls and place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Then rest for 5 minutes before eating it if you like it hot and almost half baked texture or leave to cool to firm up.