Creamy custard balanced against sharp rhubarb, will a boozy finish. This is a trifle with the freshness of spring and warming kick of whisky harking back to winter nights.
The key to making trifle is being prepared. Essentially it’s an assembly job, so if you get your prep done the day before it will be a breeze. Taking the time to make your own custard and sponge will be worth the effort.
Time: 40 minutes the day before and 15 minutes on the day
Difficulty: Straight Forward
250g of Rhubarb
Sugar to taste
Lemon Juice to taste
300ml of Full Fat Milk
2 Egg Yolks
15g of Castor Sugar
15g of Cornflour
1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
50g of Self Raising Flour
50g of Butter
50g of Castor Sugar
25ml of Whisky
150ml of Double Cream
Handful of Flaked Almonds
1. Begin by making the custard. Heat the milk in a saucepan until just before a simmer and remove from the heat.
2. Whisk together the sugar, egg yolks and cornflour for the custard. Slowly add the hot milk whilst whisking.
3. Return to the saucepan and cook on a medium heat, whisking until thickened. Then remove from the heat and transfer to a container to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
5. Make the sponge by creaming together the butter with the remaining sugar before adding the egg. Add the flour and whisk until combined.
6. Pour into a greased cake tin and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown on the edges.
7. Make the stewed rhubarb by chopping the rhubarb roughly and adding to a saucepan.
8. Add 25ml of water and cook on a high heat until the rhubarb breaks down. Add sugar and lemon to taste.
9. Cook out the rhubarb mixture until thickened. It should cling to the back of a spoon.
10. Let the rhubarb and custard cool and refrigerate overnight. Likewise store the sponge once cooled.
On the Day
1. Whip the cream until it reaches stiff peaks.
2. Take 4 glasses and break up the cake placing chunks of the cakes in each. Drizzle over the whiskey.
3. Add the rhubarb on top, then add the custard.
4. Add the cream and with knife remove the excess to give a smooth layer of cream. Top with almonds.