Nothing beats the primeval feeling of eating a turkey leg thinking you’ve just stepped into Bedrock with the Flintstones. This is the perfect meat for your first smoke and the meat is also great frozen to be used in stews and pies.
This is a long recipe taking place over 7 days. You really want to stick to it precisely or you won’t get the right cure on the turkey. If you leave it too long it will be far too salty.
Time: 7 days
Difficulty: Take Your Time
2 Turkey Drumsticks
1.5L of Water
25g of Brown Sugar
25g of Black Treacle
3g of Saltpetre
1. Prepare the brine by adding together all the ingredients, bar the turkey, in a large container and mixing until dissolved.
2. Place the turkey leg in the brine. Ensure the leg is fully immersed under the water. Weigh down with a small plate. Store in the fridge covered.
3. Turn the leg over after 3 days. Replace the brine if cloudy.
4. After 2 more days remove from the brine and place on a wire rack over a baking tray. Leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
5. Set up your BBQ or smoker for 130-140 degrees Celsius.
6. Smoke over hickory or oak until the temperature of the meat is 84 degrees Celsius.
7. Remove from the heat. Wrap in greaseproof paper for 30 minutes. Then devour!