This is not a light dessert by a long shot but it is perfect. This would equally work for brunch or dessert.
Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Take your time
350ml of Whole Milk
350ml of Double Cream
1 tablespoon of Butter
6 Egg Yolks
2 tablespoons of White Sugar
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
200g day old White Bread
4 tablespoons of Butter
6 tablespoons of Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons of Double Cream
25 ml of Rum
1. To make the banana fosters slice the bananas and add to sauce pan with the butter and sugar. Cook on a medium heat until softened.
2. Add the 2 tablespoons of double cream, rum and brown sugar and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Remove the crusts from the bread and dice. Butter 6 small pudding tins.
4. Whisk together the egg yolks, white sugar, cream, vanilla and milk. Pour over the bread. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Reserve a 1/3 of the banana fosters. Add the remaking banana foster and the bread mixture to the pudding tins.
6. Place in an oven at 160 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
7. Increase the temperature to 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes
8. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes.
9. Loosen from the tins and serve with some of the remaining banana fosters. Best served with ice cream or whipped cream.