A not so classic Eton mess. Lightly floral and not too sweet. The secret to getting this recipe right is tapering the sweetness of the recipe. With the strawberries being roasted they are going to be sweeter and the rose water can make it sweetness over powering. By adding a touch of red wine vinegar you help balance this without tasting the vinegar.
Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty: Straight forward
150g of Strawberries
150ml of Double Cream
3 tablespoons of Icing Sugar
80g of Meringue
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Remove the stems from the strawberries and quarter. Place on a baking tray. Roast for 10-15 minutes until soft
3. Meanwhile whip the cream to soft peaks and crumble the meringue. Add the icing sugar to the cream and add the rose water by 1/4 of teaspoon at a time to taste.
4. Once you have remove the strawberries from the oven mash with the back of a fork. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Once cooled at 1/4 teaspoon of the vinegar to the raspberries to taste. You shouldn’t need more that 3/4 teaspoon to balance the sweetness
6. Fold the cream, strawberries and most of the meringue together.
7. Serve in bowls and add the remaining meringue on top.