This is simple Aberdonian fare. Fish cooked delicately in milk and cream with poached eggs bulking up the dish. I can’t remember when I first had this growing up but it was a firm favourite. Sadly you’ll likely never see this on any menu but, then again, that is what home cooking is for.
You can use any sort of white fish here but smoked haddock or cod will really deliver on flavour. Try to get traditional smoked haddock, dyed or undyed, both will work great. If you use an unsmoked fish remember the milk will need more salt and pepper.
Time: 20 minutes
3-4 fillets of Haddock (preferably smoked)
250ml of double cream
250ml of whole milk
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a saucepan heat the cream and milk to just before a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add salt and pepper.
- In an oven proof dish place the fillets flat. Try not to overlap the fillets. Now pour over the cream milk mixture.
- Break the eggs into the oven proof dish.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.